The Cost of Things in Bush Alaska 8/20-22/2011

  The cost of living in bush Alaska is absurd.
It costs $11.55 for a variety pack of Pringles.                                        Ice pops are $13.35 per pack.


 A 10 lb. bag of flour is $17.75.
A 4 lb. bag of sugar is $7.59.

A box of 144 Huggies diapers costs $72.65.















FREE: blueberries, blackberries, crowberries, cranberries, and flowers to make fireweed jelly. 
 FREE:
Dried salmon






 FREE:
Moose meat

 This fancy sign is from the Naknek Trading Company's General Store. The grocery store is right next to it.  Believe it or not, the prices are slightly lower than in Iliamna.  I bought a kitchen towel set and some long underwear here.  Prices are crazy.  I am glad I shipped most of my stuff up ahead of time.  I'm ordering fresh produce from WA state from a place called Full Circle Farms that sells organic fruits and vegetables.  I am going half with anther teacher, so it is not so expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment