The Art of Berry Picking

Berries here grow close to the ground. These are called "low bush" berries. The pine-looking leaves to the right of the red plant is called Labrador tea. It smells really good and can be used as a medicinal tea.  The berries in this pic are crowberries and blackberries.  They aren't like the blackberries (high bush) we have at home. They are just little black pea-sized berries. So far I have picked over two gallons of berries, including blueberries.  People make agutak (pronounced uh-goo-tack) or "Eskimo Ice Cream" out of the berries in winter.  It is made with Crisco, sugar, a dash of milk, and berries. Actually, it is pretty good, and of course, fattening.



Fall on the tundra is not observed by looking up.  The evergreens stay the same.  Fall is observed by looking down as the fireweed turns red and the plants on the ground turn colors.  There are, however, some birch trees here whose leaves turn yellow in color.

My friend, Colleen, bought me this seat in PA. Unfortunately, about an hour after this pic was taken, I plopped down on it and broke it. :(  I will miss it, because it saved my knees and my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment